Membership of the Society is open to all persons with a genuine interest in numismatics, and to appropriate institutions.
The Society is financed by an annual subscription (current rates), interest on investments and occasional donations from members. The generosity of past members has helped endow awards and funds, from which the Society benefits today. Subscriptions are due in January each year (new members elected during the autumn should note that the subscription paid on joining also covers the following year). Subscriptions may be paid by a sterling cheque drawn on a UK bank sent to the Treasurer, or by credit or debit card using WorldPay (see Online Payments page). Overseas members are encouraged to consider paying via WorldPay; members wishing to pay by direct transfer to the Society's bank account should contact the Treasurer for further details.
The society's by-laws can be downloaded here as a PDF file.
Members are currently entitled to receive the following benefits:
- A copy of the British Numismatic Journal each year, provided their annual subscription is not overdue.
- A copy of the Money and Medals Newsletter (UK residents only).
- To attend meetings of the Society.
- To use the Society's library housed in the Warburg Institute.
- To purchase available backnumbers of the British Numismatic Journal and Special Publications at a discount.
- To purchase a bronze Membership Medal.
- After 25 years of membership, to purchase a silver Membership Medal.
If you are a UK taxpayer please do consider filling out a gift aid form and send it to the Treasurer.